We are frequently contacted by people who are looking to sell their guns legally. Here are a few things to keep in mind when selling your guns privately. Of course, we are always willing to take a look at your collection and make you a cash offer so you don't have to worry about any of the below. Please contact us if you are interested in avoiding the hassle and legal pitfalls of selling guns privately.
According to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives, non licensed residents (people who do not possess a federal firearms license)
- May dispose of personal firearms to any FFL holder
- May acquire from and dispose of personal firearms to non-licensed residents of the same State
- Cannot acquire from or dispose of firearms to non-licensed residents of any other State.
- Cannot ship in interstate commerce, except to themselves or an FFL, a firearm that has otherwise been lawfully acquired; must, when shipping to themselves, declare the firearm to the commercial or contract carrier. Note: Contract Carriers have additional requirements.
- Cannot dispose of a firearm to a subject if you know or should have known they were a prohibited person as described below.
Gun Registration and FFL Transfers
- Kansas does not have any form of gun registration. The paperwork completed when purchasing a gun from a FFL does not register that gun to the purchaser, rather it is designed to ensure the purchaser is not a prohibited person as outlined above.
- When selling or otherwise transferring a firearm to an unlicensed person it is recommended you meet at a FFL and have them complete this process to ensure you are not unknowingly transferring a firearm to a prohibited person. Note: A current (not expired) Kansas Concealed Carry Permit subjects the permit holder to a more stringent background check and can replace this step.
- Lee's Guns will gladly assist with private party transfers or transfers of firearms that you purchase online or out of state. We charge $20 for this service.